Those interested in bookbinding may attend any of the free workshops offered during the term or drop by for an open studio. No previous experience is necessary, all materials and equipment are provided.
About the Bookbinding Studio
In our bookbinding studio we can teach you how to make a variety of books from traditional hardcover journals to pop-up books. A member of our staff is always here during Open Studio sessions to help you create your book.
With sessions taught by one of our staff and or a visiting artist, the Book Arts Workshop offers classes on several different bookbinding techniques. Workshops are limited to 8 participants and advanced registration is required. Register for a class. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the guidelines.
In addition to training you in your chosen binding style we also offer training and help with the equipment we provide.
- Board Shear used for cutting large sheets of paper.
- Book Presses used for compressing or stabilizing books and parts of books during gluing or flattening. Learn more about book presses and copy presses
- Guillotine used for cutting many sheets of paper
What Happens in Bookbinding
We can help you make all kinds of books from pop-ups to books to explain your research projects to journals you'll take with you on your study abroad. To give you an idea, stop in and look through or book models and check out these photos of activities, classes and projects!
Used for cutting large sheets of paper (just a few at a time) or board like mat board or binders board
- Make/age/where made: Jacques—made in Worcester, MA—1920s
- Size: Cuts paper/board up to 33 inches
- Learn more about Jacques board shears.
Shriver & Co., Low Priced Press No.3
Made in New York, NY, 1890s
10 x 15 inches
Tatum & Co., Column Copying Press
Made in Cincinnati, Ohio, 1890s
10 x 12.5 inches
Illinois Iron and Bolt Co, Style B-N0. 3(?)
Made in Carpentersville, Illinois, 1890s
9 x 11 inches
Used for cutting many sheets of paper in a stack at once.
- Make/age/where made: Challenge, manual, made in Grand Haven, Michigan
- Size: Cuts paper up to 19 inches