The Libraries wish to provide facilities to the public that are inviting, clean, and conducive to study and research for all members of the Dartmouth community.
Food and Drink
Most of the Dartmouth Libraries, except Rauner Special Collections Library and the Evans Map Room, allow patrons to bring in food and drink. Please follow the following guidelines:
- Computer workstations must be food-free
- Drinks are permitted in covered spill-proof containers.
- Light snacks are permitted.
- Be considerate of others and dispose of trash properly.
- Food deliveries are disruptive and are not permitted, but permission for extensive food service may be granted under special circumstances.
We appreciate your consideration of our libraries, materials, and equipment.
Lost and Found
Library visitors are expected to monitor their belongings, especially valuables, at all times while using library facilities.
Lost and found is usually located at the main circulation desk of your library.
Large valuable items such as laptop computers:
- Held at the circulation desk for less than a day
- Items are turned over to Safety and Security as soon as possible after received
Small valuable items such as cell phones, chargers and calculators, jewelry, wallets, purses, credit cards and ID’s:
- Held at the circulation desk in a secure location for less than a week
- Unclaimed items are turned over to Safety and Security daily
- Dartmouth ID's: Cardholders are notified by email when their card is turned in to the Circulation Desk staff.
- Unclaimed cards are turned over to the Card Office weekly
Non-valuable items such as clothing, shoes, notebooks, water bottles, and umbrellas:
- Held in a bin behind the circulation desk
- Unclaimed items are picked up by Safety and Security weekly
Personal books including textbooks:
- Held in a personal book bin behind the circulation desk
- Unclaimed items are distributed to Better World Books approximately once per term or as necessary due to space issues
Baker-Berry Library is not responsible for unattended personal items left in the library, however, we have established procedures for dealing with items turned in to our Lost and Found depository and will take reasonable measures to secure valuables, protect privacy and relinquish items in a timely manner to Safety and Security.